The Beatles are widely regarded as the most influential rock and roll band of all time. They were the phenomenon that invented stadium sized concerts. In this class we will explore the different periods of their music and observe the things that shaped their lives which was reflected in their music. We will look at the following general periods in their career as The Beatles:
1. 1957 - 1962 The early years
2. 1963 Their association with Brian Epstein and George Martin and their first album in 1963
3. 1964 Their first appearances in the USA
4. 1965 The release of the Rubber Soul album and the evolution from "I want to hold your hand" to adult themes
5. 1966 - 1967 Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band changed how albums were made
6. 1968 - 1970 Let It Be: The end of the band and the beginning of their individual careers
Rock & Roll has always been about counter culture. It was the opposite of institutions and social conventions that were the domain of "adults". Warning: part of the story of The Beatles (indeed all rock & roll) involves mention of sex, drugs, rock & roll and profanity. If you are offended by these topics, do not sign up for this class.
About the instructor:
Rod Daugherty is a musician with bachelor degrees in music and music education with graduate studies in music composition. Rod has performed in a wide variety of musical styles that range from church pianist to the rock & roll night club circuit. Rod plays piano, organ, synthesizer and blues/rock electric guitar.